Monday 4 March 2013


Malaysia has never failed to provide good food, be it local dishes or international cuisine. Last Sunday, I came across this western restaurant located in the heart of Aman Suria, Petaling Jaya. I was craving for some meat and decided to give it a try. It took me a while to look for a parking slot as many eateries are spread along the street. Outside of the restaurant was a very American signboard stating ‘Betty’s Midwest Kitchen’.

“America on a plate!” , as the signboard says.

 This restaurant has a very unique policy where a customer must place an order once they are seated, because the food is served at lightning quick speed! The manager said this was to prevent customers without orders occupying seats while the customers keep pouring in.

Betty’s menu : Catchy food names caught my attention.

Steaks and ribs usually take some time to be cooked and then served; but in here, my Classic Meatloaf I ordered was on my table within five minutes. Talk about typical American fast food. The food was served so quick that I did not really have time to check out the surroundings of the restaurant. Nevertheless, the meatloaf was my main focus. It was a steamed meatloaf with less oil, served with a small portion of salad and mashed potatoes. The meatloaf was soft yet juicy, while the cheese topping on it made it even more satisfying. As it was my first time tasting a meatloaf, I wasn’t really use to the taste as it was quite meaty. The Classic meatloaf cost me RM16.50 which I considered it pretty reasonable for a meat dish.  

Classic Meatloaf. Meaty taste, but looks like a piece of carrot cake though.(RM16.50)

After my meal, I ordered an additional plate of ‘Dog Food’ recommended by the waiter. It was named ‘Dog Food’ as the plate used to serve the food in it draws similarities with a dog food plate. The ‘Dog Food’ arrived after just three minutes. It was actually just French fries served with mushroom sauce and some cheese spread all over it. From a distance, it really looks like food for dogs but it tastes pretty good actually. If you are craving for snacks during tea-time, the ‘‘Dog Food’ fits the bill well. However, this is one costly plate of dog food which costs RM9.00 despite its portion being pretty small.

 In house ‘dog food’! A must try! (RM9.00)

As for drinks, I had a refreshing home-made lime juice. It tastes a little sour while it was not too sweet too. Just a nice glass of beverage to end my meal. Having it with less ice makes it less diluted.

 
The fresh lime juice, a thirst quencher. (RM2.90)

Betty’s Westside Kitchen was decorated with lots of American flags, pictures of America’s scenic scenes and cute pig frames. The setting was pretty cozy while people laugh and cheer all night long. American beer was also part of the menu, but I did not have company for it.

 Beautiful frames from the States!

Overall, it was a great experience dining in this restaurant. As the signboard mentioned : ‘ America on a plate’, the food and setting of the restaurant gave the patrons a good American experience. It’s as if I was dining in the States! If you are looking for a quick western meal, it is good to make a visit to Betty’s Westside Kitchen .

                                             Meat-licious experience at Betty’s. 

Food Rating : 7.5/10
Ambience Rating : 8/10
Service Rating : 9/10
Overall Rating : 8/10

Address: Betty's Midwest Kitchen, A-G-40, Jalan PJU 1/43, Aman Suria        Damansara, 47410 Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.

GPS coordinates : 3.123161,101.595329

Operating hours : Closed on Mondays
      Tuesday-Sunday 11:30 am - 3:00 pm,5:30 pm-10:00pm

Name: Leong Wei-Zhun
Student ID : 12074399
Group : 5

No comments:

Post a Comment